Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Paul's Korean Adventure, part 2

Here is Paul's trip log from today (it's quite funny to have him be in Wednesday, while we are still in Tuesday!)


- Catherine




What a difference some sleep and a shower made to how I feel today!

This morning, I only had to be into the office where I'll be working during my TDY at 9:30am, so I had a little bit of time to run past the housing office and try and find out what I could (you know, in case we end up getting stationed here).  At the housing office, I talked to a nice man who told me that although it was against policy to let me in to see any of the units (since they're all full with residents right now), he could provide me copies of all the 3 bedroom floor plans. I was very pleased to have the chance to see them, although they are MUCH smaller than where we live right now (we knew we were going to be downsizing if we end up in Korea, but seriously, these are about 1,000 sqft smaller than where we currently live.  Cath and I talked about the floor plans, and decided that we would just have to be super organized to make a space like that work; even then, the place is so much smaller then our current house, that dedicated studio/craft space may not be an option for Catherine (which I feel terrible about). I guess we'll have to see what happens if we end up getting assigned to Osan...more on that in a few weeks I guess since that is when we are supposed to be getting our next PCS (permanent change of station) orders.

After going to the housing office, I still had a few minutes to stop by the Base Exchange, (BX, think Walmart, but with brand name stuff,) which was good since I missed breakfast (the dining facility here stops serving breakfast at 7:30am, which seems really early to STOP breakfast).  I think the BX is pretty well-stocked with most of the essentials, and the additional little kiosks in the halls provided nice variety of "local" shopping.  The food court is pretty diverse too, with a Taco Bell, Subway, Pizza Hut, Captain D's, Baskin Robbins (31 Flavors), Starbucks, and Krispy Kreme.  It being breakfast time, I went with Krispy Kremes


I thought these donuts looked particularly nice (and different than U.S. Krispy Kreme donuts I'd seen); there is a blueberry creme, a green tea glazed, and a chocolate cookie crumble (o.k., the chocolate cookie crumble was similar to state-side ones I'd seen before).  I also had some nice mango juice...I haven't seen any lychee juice here (I'm not sure if that's a thing or not in Korea, but I hope to find out since Cath loves it!)

Following breakfast I reported to the office where I'll be working, and everyone was pretty nice and pleased to have an extra helper around for the next few weeks.  Most of the day was spent reading and talking about Analysis and Lessons Learned processes so I could understand what the office's primary functions are....I find it interesting, but it's not the most exciting thing to blog about, so I won't.

After work, I went back to my room in Tent City...


Changed into workout clothes and went to the gym.


Cath and I are training for a 10K run at the end of March, and today's training was a 2.5 mile run.  Fortunately, Osan's fitness center has an indoor running track pretty similar to the gym we usually run at's indoor running track.  The inner lane is 1/9 of a mile.  


I listened to Catherine's favorite music ABBA while running (which made me want to run way too fast), and I discovered that without Cath running with me I do a terrible job of keeping track of my laps.  Consequently , I ran somewhere between 22 and 24 laps.

After running, I walked down the hill for dinner at the dining facility, and then rode one of the Osan AB exercise buses back to Tent City.  The interior of the bus was all *fancy* with seat covers and faux drapes with tassels on all the windows...



Little did I know I was putting my life into the hands of a crazy driver!!! He was watching TV (not the big one that's above his head in the photo, but there's a small one under the GPS unit to his left in the photo below, and he was talking on his cell phone (not hands free) at the same time. I swear I never saw him look up at the road, I am pretty sure he was just driving by GPS or something, it was bizarre!



The evening was the best part of my day because I got to spend some time Skyping with Cath (thanks honey).

Time to go for now.......goodnight,

Paul

No comments: